Friday, February 25, 2011

"My Life with the Wave"

André Breton’s surrealist ambition:




“I believe in the future transmutation of those two seemingly contradictory states, dream and reality, into a sort of absolute reality, of surreality, so to speak. I am looking forward to its consummation, certain that I shall never share in it, but death would matter little to me could I but taste the joy it will
yield ultimately.”


How might this surrealist claim apply to Octavio Paz’s story
“My Life with the Wave”?




In his Nobel lecture Octavio Paz said, “We pursue modernity in her incessant metamorphoses yet we never manage to trap her. She always escapes: each encounter ends in flight. We embrace her and she disappears immediately: it was just a little air.” How does this quotation help with your understanding of the story? or does it? might it help you discover another meaning beneath the surface?

Now... jot down all the other possible ideas for what the "wave" might be besides a literal wave. Try to think creatively, but make sure that it fits within the story details.

No comments:

Post a Comment